Lighting of petroglyphs
Designer: Kristine Sørensen
Duration: Pilot project for 2 months and main project for 5 months.
Where: The project is made as final thesis at Oslo and Akershus University College, Department of Product Design
Employer: Archaeological Field Unit at Akershus County
Software: Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Rhinoceros
Selection of location for the project:
Petroglyphs at Bingsfoss
- Localized by a cultural trail used by many people.
- Ongoing project to upgrade the trail with better accessibility and new signs
- Parking and public transport nearby
Concept pilot project:
Experience the carvings in the dark.
- The area will be facilitated to experience the area with flashlights, where the use of reflexes shows the way to the petroglyphs.
- An event early fall with a barbecue and activities along the cultural trail and a night walk with flashlight to the petroglyphs with an archaeologist as a guide
The archaeological field unit liked the concept well, but wanted a permanent lighting by the petroglyphs. This is something I examine in the main project, while I take with me some of the ideas from the the pilot project into a new concept. Such as the event, and that there is something along the path that leads the way.
- Qualitative interviews, Personal and over the telephone with resource persons found within relevant fields.
- Information map for creating an overview of gathered information and to retrieve keywords for concept development.
- Keywords from interviews, different contexts, strategies for attachment, users, senses and time.
- Quick sketches
The concept is about experiencing the petroglyphs in the dark and involves:
- Markers along the trail to show the way
- Lighting object by the petroglyphs,- An event to inform about the experience
- Early fall
- Local newspapers and media
- Invitations to primary schools that have the Bronze Age on the curriculum.
- Theoretical layout of power and ideas for how this can be integrated with the planned signs in the area.
Large parts of the concept is about leading visitors to the petroglyphs, and to display them in an atmospheric manner.
Light objects where the height and angle are adjustable according to conditions by the the petroglyphs, with a base that can either be bolted to the ground or buried.
Experience and product
The user arrives at the parking lot, either with bus, car or on foot. At the parking lot there is a big information sign.